According to Dr. Abdelkarim, advanced gum disease is called periodontitis. It can lead to the loss of tissue and bone that support the teeth and it may become more severe over time. If it does, your teeth will feel loose and start moving around in your mouth. This is the most common form of periodontitis in adults but can occur at any age.
What are the factors that may increase the risk of developing gum disease?
Gum disease affects a high number of the population, especially with age. There are a few factors that can increase the risk of developing gum disease, and it is important to pay attention in order to prevent it. They are:
- poor oral hygiene
- smoking or chewing tobacco
- crooked teeth that are hard to keep clean
- medications, including steroids, certain types of anti-epilepsy drugs, cancer therapy drugs, some calcium channel blockers and oral contraceptives
What can I do to prevent gum disease?
As per Dr. Abdelkarim’s recommendation, The last thing you want is to have to deal with gum disease, especially when the prevention of chronic gingivitis or periodontitis is simple. What you can do is:
- Properly care for your teeth and gums by brushing twice daily, using mouthwash and floss. These products should be aimed at reducing plaque, which protects from the development of bacteria.
- Book regular check-ups at the dentist’s to monitor your oral health.
- Choose the proper diet by eating and drinking food that is healthy and balanced, as well as low in sugar.
Is Gum disease linked to other health problems?
Researchers have identified potential links between gum disease and other serious health conditions. When a person has a healthy immune system, the bacteria in the mouth that usually goes into the bloodstream is harmless. However, these pathogenic bacteria are sometimes associated with strokes or heart disease. As for diabetes, we have already talked about gum disease making it worse.
Paying attention to your body and health early on in life can have a huge impact on how it develops with age. Having a routine when it comes to oral hygiene should not be overlooked as it plays a big role in your overall health condition.
For effective oral care products, we recommend the Elgydium products